Sunday, July 24, 2022

Interview with Curvee B #MNfringe

photo of Curvee

 

Karaoke meets improvisational burlesque at this year's Minnesota Fringe Festival.  Audience members will have the chance to sing their favorite songs, along with a rotating cast of burlesque performers as they try and make it sexy. 

I have with me Curvee B, a burlesque performer and producer.

Curvee B, how did you get your start in burlesque?

In 2018, I was looking for a new activity that complemented the body positivity journey I was on. As a fan of personal growth work, I believe in stepping outside of my comfort zone and found burlesque offered a supportive space to bring these things together. I started taking classes at Minnsky Theater and later The Rose Academy of Burlesque. In August 2019, I competed and won Nudie Newbies, a local burlesque competition show. In the fall of 2021, I leveraged my background in project management and passion for making more spaces available for individuals to perform and started co-producing a monthly cabaret show: TC Cabaret. And now, here I am producing my dream show: Karaoke After Dark, with Orthogonal Productions.

 

What inspires your own burlesque performances?

When I begin putting together a new act, yes, music, costumes and choreography are the tools I use, though the inspiration comes from creating pieces that celebrate my body. As someone who never thought a body like mine deserved to be seen, let alone shine on a stage, I am challenging those old scripts about what I/society thought me and my body could do. I’m reclaiming my space and transforming it into a powerful and positive force. It’s also important for me to feel like it’s making a difference. I’m hopeful that others can feel inspired to do things that step them outside of their comfort zone, encourage them to grow and bring them joy.

 

How does it feel to have live audiences and theater back?

As a self-declared extrovert (okay, other people know it too), I am thrilled to be back on stage. It’s also been enjoyable to be an audience member and support talented individuals and their art. Creating memorable experiences together is life-giving and live theater offers a unique experience you can’t find anywhere else.

 

This show is a mixture of karaoke and burlesque, can you give us some songs you will be performing or talk about themes?(correct me if I’m wrong)

This show combines three of my favorite things. Karaoke, Burlesque, and Improv. How do those things work together? Well, let me tell you. 

 

Karaoke. At each show audience members will sign-up to sing a karaoke song of their choice (from the curated list of 100+ songs). They will be on stage, have a rockstar mic, karaoke lyrics at their fingertips, and will perform vocally while the burlesque performers make it sexy. 

 

The karaoke list has songs that meet the criteria of being an excellent karaoke song, are fun to burlesque to, and work within the length of the show. While most karaoke lists are broken down by song, artist, or genre, we leveled it up with some pretty fun categories. There are too many to share here, so you’ll have to come and see what we have selected! With that said, here are my top 4 categories:

  1. “What Are You Wearing?” only makes sense to have since the burlesque performers will be taking theirs off. Songs like: “These Boots Are Made For Walking” and “Thong Song”.

  2. In “Dating Apps Made Me Do It” we have the breakup songs everyone needs. Songs like: “I Will Survive” and “Bye, Bye, Bye”.

  3. “Body Positive AF” songs are to remind you of the awesome human you are. Songs like: “All About That Bass” and “Juice”.

  4. “Sorry (not sorry)” are those songs that sound like apologies, but, we all know they really aren’t. Songs like, “Oops, I Did It Again” and “It Wasn’t Me”

 

Burlesque. Each night has a star-studded rotating cast of 6 performers from the Twin Cities and St. Cloud area. So, you’ll definitely want to be there to see ALL of their talents. *wink*

 

Improv. The burlesque performers will not know what karaoke song they are performing to until they hit the stage. Their outfits range from classic gowns and boas to nerdy and kitschy costumes. No matter what the song, they will make their outfits work. Each performer is excited to embrace the artistry of creating a live theater moment that feels authentic, inspired, sexy, and fun. 

 

What do you hope the audience will take away from this performance?

Ultimately, I want them to feel like they’ve had a fun, sexy, and memorable evening. For the audience members who don’t sing, I want them to feel like they are part of a unique experience made just for them. For the audience members who sing, I want them to feel supported and empowered to be their rockstar selves on the karaoke mic. It’s important to create an inclusive and supportive environment. If even one person comes away from the show inspired to begin doing karaoke, burlesque, chair, dance, or improv, I will be happy. It takes courage to perform, period and I want everyone to feel like a star!

 

What is the funnest thing about the Fringe Festival so far?

The excitement of creating a really unique experience, booking such an amazing cast of talented performers, and feeling the anticipation build to see what stage magic will be created at each show. 

 

Do you have any upcoming performances?(outside the fringe)

Yes. I am co-producer of TC Cabaret. Our show is at the Brass Rail on the first Friday of the month. Each month we book an inclusive and diverse cast of performers who perform burlesque, drag, pole, dance, sing, and more, from the Twin Cities area and beyond. Check out @tccabaret and @curvee_b_burlesque on Instagram.


Contact Curvee B
Instagram: @curvee_b_burlesque 
Facebook: Curvee Bea


Come see the show @ the UofM Rarig Arena
Aug 4, 6, 9, 13, and 14
(18+ only)
Tickets and additional information at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter