Sunday, October 2, 2022

Sunday post

via GIPHY

 




he Sunday Post is a blog news meme hosted here @ Caffeinated Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on your blog for the week ahead. Join in weekly, bi-weekly or for a monthly wrap up. See rules here: Sunday Post Meme


 

LOOKING FORWARD to September



This week I was in Chicago to see the comedian Tom Papa.

Tom Papa on stage in Schaumburg 

View from the pool at the Palmer Hotel, Chicago



Early morning on Wednesday I set off to the airport at 7 AM. A lot less people were there than on a Friday. I brought a carry-on, and noticed an individual next to me who had three carry-ons including a briefcase which we stashed below my seat because he had the aisle. 

A picture of Palmer Hotel in Chicago

My sister made a joke that the passenger was with the CIA.

When we got to Chicago, we took a Lyft to Schaumburg (a suburb of Chicago).  A few comedians make this joke that everyone will say that they are from Chicago but most are actually from little suburbs like Aurora outside of Chicago

During the day, my sister and I went to a tequila bar and had burritos and tacos.  The salsa was so out of this world that I took some to the hotel.

 

Our second night we stayed at the Palmer Hilton Hotel in Chicago.  The Palmer is one of the oldest hotels in America (150 years old) and its quite elegant, it also has a snazzy pool room on the 8th floor. In Chicago we were there to see "Wait, Wait...Don't tell me." It's an NPR radio show. Comedians Tom Papa and Dulce Sloan were guests that night.  It was fun to see how they record and edit the show.

It was quite a fun trip and we returned home on Friday.

Looking down at my sister from the balcony at The Palmer


Upcoming Events

October 6-8th

10,000 Laughs is a comic-centered, artist-run stand up comedy festival with heart. And a big mole, which we should probably get checked out.

Since 2011, 10,000 Laughs has been bringing national headliners and unknown talent together for three October days to make Twin Cities audiences laugh their little tushies off. With 35+ shows and nearly 80 comedians, it’s a comedy festival unlike anything else in Minnesota! Tickets10000laughs.com/





 

ON THE BLOG


Reading
I read Devotions by Mary Oliver.  I liked having this to page through on my downtime on vacations.  The poems in this book give gratitude and appreciation to everything in nature and in general.
Hoping to read Tom Papa's memoir after he mentioned it during "Wait, Wait..Don't Tell Me."

Hoping to re-read this memoir as David Sedaris will be coming to Minnesota next month and I'm hoping to get tickets.

Listening






This is a recording from our last improv stage in which each of us talks about a place we'd travel to first when entering any destination.  There's a discussion of Philippines and why the rice is often served with hot dogs and ketchup.












11 comments:

  1. We stayed at the Palmer House in Chicago a few years ago. It's full of amazing old time luxuries! Even the elevator is like a palace. Sounds like you had fun.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Chicago years ago for BEA and I loved the weather, it was so weird going from 90 degree weather in Texas to 50 degree weather in Chicago, in May. 10,000 Laughs looks great.

    Ash @ Essentially Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to enjoy Chicago. It has so many things to offer.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of Tom Papa that I can remember. I'll check him out. The hotel looks very nice. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom Papa is real down to earth and his comedy revolves around family and things we take for granted.

      Delete
  4. So glad you had such a fun trip. I don't think I've heard of Tom Papa. Sounds good though. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your trip looks like a blast! I just found out last week that the Honest Teacher comedy show is coming to a theater near me, but there's been a lot of crime near where it is, so I don't know that I'll end up going. I would love to see them though. I follow at least one of them on TikTok. Hope you have a good week and thanks for stopping by my post earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of the Honest Teacher Comedy show. But I have noticed a lot of teachers in comedy and it makes sense due to all the chances they have in public speaking (like daily, wink)

      Delete

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter