Sunday, October 30, 2022

Sunday blog post

via GIPHY



he Sunday Post is a blog news meme hosted here @ Caffeinated Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on your blog for the week ahead. Join in weekly, bi-weekly or for a monthly wrap up. See rules here: Sunday Post Meme


 

LOOKING FORWARD to October


Yesterday I took my son to a pumpkin patch. He had lots of fun taking pictures with pumpkins and walking through corn mazes and there was a huge pit with corn kernels up to your waist.





This week I've had to use my personal hotspot from phone as an internet connection(for laptop) at home, because I cut off the internet and the internet has been pretty spotty.  My internet company has been charging an upwards of $100 a month! which is pretty high. 


This was my week, how was yours?  Let me know in the comments below.





 

ON THE BLOG


Reading

I'm reading Julian Jayne's book.  I enjoy learning about the origins of consciousness which according to Jaynes was 3000 BC. Bicameral mentality is a hypothesis in psychology and neuroscience which argues that the human mind once operated in a state in which cognitive functions were divided between one part of the brain which appears to be "speaking", and a second part which listens and obeys—a bicameral mind, and that the evolutionary breakdown of this division gave rise to consciousness in humans



Babe in Boyland by Jodi Gehrman
Synopsis : Natalie writes the relationship column for her high school newspaper. Then she is accused of knowing nothing about guys and giving girls bad relationship advice, so she decides to disguise herself as a guy and spend a week at Underwood Academy, the private all-boys boarding school in town. And in the process, she learns about guys, though in ways she never expected. But when she starts to fall for her dreamy roommate, things get even more complicated.

I liked this one a lot. The tone is real great and it gives the reader a lot of perspective on bullies in school.  I think if I read this in high school, I may have had some better perspective.


I started reading "A Stitch in Time," by Kelly Armstrong.  I thought it was cute. Some time travelling novels can be real cringey for me, and when the male hero mentioned that he can't make peanut butter brownie because they don't have peanut butter quite yet, it was kind of two spot on. But I like that both characters had lived in both centuries. It's a lot different than "Kate and Leopold."

If you have any recommendations for time travelling books, let me know in comments below.







11 comments:

  1. Your son looks very cute! I bet he really loved that pumpkin patch.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae. He loved getting lost in the corn maze as well.

      Delete
  2. The pumpkin patch sounds like fun. I'm sure your son had a great time. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin patch memories are some of my favorites from when my boys were little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pumpkin patch looks like fun! I know we did that when I was a kid, I wonder if my niece and nephew have gotten to do that or not. I have read other books by Kelly Armstrong, need to give those a try. Have you read the Transcend Time series by Michelle Madow? Also the Into the Dim series by Janet Taylor is one of my favorites. Both are YA series. Have a great week and thanks for visiting my Sunday post at Lisa Loves Literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly Armstrong will remain on my reader to watch for.. I'll keep on eye out for Janet Taylor. I haven't read the Transcend Time series, but I'll pick it up today.

      Delete
  5. Internet providers always start with fantastic prices, but they slowly start to creep up. It's frustrating.

    It looks like your son had a great time at all the festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pumpkin patch looks like a lot of fun. Your son is so cute! I love the cover of the Gehrman book :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of pumpkins. I hope you had a nice Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Jaynes's book a few years ago. It's a fascinating hypothesis, but at least in its pure form, it doesn't really hold up. It's quite clear now that the great apes, and probably many other mammal species, are conscious in the same sense we are. (Jaynes briefly dismisses this in his book, but I'm very familiar with the extensive research done on apes.) If chimpanzees and gorillas have consciousness, it's hardly plausible that the Sumerians didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this book. I'm going to be taking part in a discussion about it soon.

      Delete

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter