Saturday, November 9, 2019

Sunday Post and Cale Reed as Van Helsing in Dracula






Today's post will link up to The Sunday SalonThe Sunday Post and Stacking the Shelves for weekly updates.

           LOOKING FORWARD TO NOVEMBER

Cale Reed is here with me today to talk about his role as Van
Cale Reed
Helsing in the Inver Hills Fall 2019 production of Dracula. Reed is a retail worker, punk rock singer, actor and college student (majoring in film) at Inver Hills Community College in Minnesota.


The play, Dracula required actors to move from scaffolds with ease. Was this difficult? Did you have to practice a lot of this during rehearsals?

The scaffolding did take some time to get used to, for it unfortunately wasn’t ready until a few weeks into rehearsal. The cast and I proceeded with caution (some bruises here and there), but within a week or two, we were hanging and playing on it like a jungle gym.


Of all the roles you played in the past which is your favorite?
This is my 3rd production at Inver Hills. First was last Fall’s Our Town, where I played Mr. Charles Webb. Second was last Spring’s Dorothy and The Wizard of Oz, where I played the cowardly lion. Even though I’m a huge horror fan, and loved being able to play Van Helsing, I’ve got to say that playing the cowardly lion was my favorite roll to date. It required me to be very physical and loud, and it challenged me as an actor to perfect my comedic timing. It was all worth it, just to see children’s smiles and hear their laughter.


The director, George M. Roesler is known for his use of great sound and lighting, how do these great effects add to the show?
The sound and music no doubt added to the show, by making it seem bigger; helping the audience gain a sense of tension and urgency. I especially loved the use of blue and red colored lighting. But my favorite addition was the use of fog machines, even though they weren’t the most reliable and easiest machines to operate and time, and the smell of the fog took awhile to get used to. The timing, mixing, and volume of all these factors literally all came together perfectly at the last minute.


Van Helsing stands out as an outsider, did you feel like an outsider in your role?
I was an outsider growing up, usually keeping to myself; hiding behind my long hair and leather jacket, with The Ramones and other punk bands playing on my Ipod. Even now, it takes me awhile to warm up and get comfortable around people. This was a great cast that was very welcoming, and we’ve established a great camaraderie; making no one feel like an outsider.

What was the most extreme change to personality, hair, body, etc that you have done to prepare for a role?
Though it was a challenge to change between moods for Van Helsing in seconds, I still think that the cowardly lion was a more difficult role for me as an actor. I was doing flips and pratfalls constantly, so to loosen and warm up my body, I went to the gym before rehearsal.

Contact Cale
Facebook



Please leave a comment below.



CURRENTLY

Reading: Paradise in Plain Sight by Karen Maezen Miller, Ask and It is Given by Esther Hicks


On a side note, I interviewed a couple of actors and directors on my blog this week.  I also went to see "Getting Plowed" (a comedic sketch) at Brave New Workshop in Minneapolis. (see Review in an earlier post)  I also saw "Barber of Seville" (an opera) at the Ordway, in St. Paul.   So I've done tons of stuff.  I'm also back at the YMCA, hoping to workout. Later this week, I'm going to the 'Poorhouse' (great name, right?!!) to listen to some story slams and then it's back to a few more theaters for reviews.

ON THE BLOG

Sunday: The Sunday Post
Barber of Seville at the Ordway


Up Coming:
Play Review

12 comments:

  1. Don't ask me why, but I've always been a fan of Dracula, and this sounds so cool. Very neat that you had the chance to interview Mr. Reed to get insider info! Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although his current project sounds like it would be fun (and challenging), I do love that the Cowardly Lion is his favorite roll so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Karen. I think that there is a lion in everyone of us. It's our job to remove the cowardly-part.

      Delete
  3. i was never much for vampires until i started blogging. thanks for sharing the great interview
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  4. Playing Van Helsing sounds like so much fun. I've always been a fan of the Dracula movies and books. I tend to read a lot of vampire romance now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how vampires are poppin' up everywhere.That and zombies.

      Delete
  5. oh I used to really enjoy the Brave New Workshop. I used to get the series tickets at the Ordway for the children's shows to take my daughter. You really make me miss my time there. Sadly, I didn't take in much of the great theater available in my last years there. Have a wonderful week!

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet your kids had a blast at the Ordway. Theater sticks with children for the rest of their lives.

      Delete
  6. I did enjoy the movie Van Helsing but not the tv show. Thanks for sharing this interview

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the go-to person for plays, aren't you?!

    ReplyDelete

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter