Friday, October 1, 2021

Night of the Living Dead! The Musical is a humorous blend of self-deprecation and fun at Phoenix Theater in Uptown Minneapolis


When you arrive at Phoenix Theater to see Night of the Living Dead! The Musical you might think you arrived at an uptown cafe. There’s plenty of space in the lobby before you meet the entrance to the theater and countless chairs and sofas to sit on. I took a window seat near the front entrance before going into the auditorium. I had to walk a good block to the theater after parking the car but that didn’t deter me.

I had read that the creator and lyricist, Jordon Wolfe, flew out to Minneapolis to see this musical adaptation and I was more than happy to see it myself, and was not disappointed.

The opening scene caught my attention: two characters, Barbara played by Rachel Schmidt and Johnny, played by Max Kile, drive out into the countryside to visit their father’s grave site. Rachel Schmidt's funny anecdotes and good humor set her as someone who was childlike and flirty. The makeshift car and the characters’ hilarious maneuvers in and out of it made me want to go home and make my own car.
I expected the plot to center around the brute zombies who would’ve made frequent appearances but I was happy instead to meet Miranda’s love interest, Ben, (Mitchell Douglas) whose charisma and energy made the scene light up. Mitchell’s costume and dance pants put the audience right where you were supposed to be: 1960’s, Pennsylvania. I was reminded of that numerous times in the musical, with self-deprecation and references to political and religious stereotypes.

I was introduced to Sheriff Tractor, (Christian Unser), who couldn’t be more country hick if he tried. His use of a squirt gun to commandeer zombies who threatened to take over the scene was too perfect.

Everyone of the actors played a zombie at least once, and I didn’t find the transition between characters to be alarming.

In fact, I cared so much about the twosomes and husband and wife characters, I felt the scene could go on and on past the two 45 minute acts. I said it right, two 45 minute acts, which may seem unusual to break a musical that runs just 90 minutes into two intervals but it made for a nice little break in between where I could stand and stretch my legs. My only gripe with the theater itself would be the uncomfortable chairs but I was glad for the little tables and leg and arm space, which is frequently not available in a lot of theaters, where I’m arm to arm with my neighbor and their critiques and laughter.

One of the most memorable scenes had to be when Mitchell Douglas and Christian Uncer started a dance off with the characters doing the sprinkler and running man. Mitchell Douglas did an awesome, five second break dance routine and I became more and more blown away by his talents at end of the night. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if he could pull off Lord of the Dance and Rent, the musical, in one night.
Start your night off right, I cannot recommend this musical enough.
Night of the Living Dead! The Musical runs through October 27th, tickets can be purchased through http://www.aboutmmt.org/ or at the door.

Prices are: $35 Premium seating $30 Regular seating $25 Partially Obstructed seating Students/Seniors 65+ Any seat $25

1 comment:

  1. Night of The Living Dead sounds like it was such a fun musical! I'm glad you were able to enjoy the show for the most part, despite the uncomfortable chairs. Thanks for sharing your experience.


    Lindy@ A. Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter