Friday, November 25, 2022

Sunday Post

via GIPHY

 

he Sunday Post is a blog news meme hosted here @ Caffeinated Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on your blog for the week ahead. Join in weekly, bi-weekly or for a monthly wrap up. See rules here: Sunday Post Meme


 

LOOKING FORWARD to December



It's been snowing a lot in Minnesota, and dropped like 20 degrees in the course of one night. 







 On Friday, I did an improv stage match at Strike theater.

How do these shows work out? 
We meet at 6:15 and do a 20 minute rehearsal with an appointed coach. There's generally 4-8 people in our group, many of whom we meet for the first time.  Then we do some improv exercises like pass the clap, OR zip, zap, zop.
Then we do some montage scenes.  What's a montage scene?

  1. Start the first scene based on that suggestion.
  2. When there is an appropriate time to edit, a player on the back row edits the scene
  3. The player that edits the scene may start the new one.
  4. Repeat the editing process until you have a few scenes going.
  5. Once a comfortable number has been reached, revisit your previous scenes and perform a second beat. Three or four scenes is recommended. Try to incorporate the new information that has been offered in other scenes, but do not force connections.
  6. Heighten the scenes with each beat.

We'll pick a name for our group.  Friday night's group is called "The Spectacular's. Then each group (sometimes four groups total) will come on stage. Each group makes a choice of a way to come on stage.  We chose to say our group's name in a fancy way, some chose a dance.  We'll perform for twenty minutes in front of a live audience in short montage scenes. Sometimes these scenes are 15 seconds to three minutes long. Sometimes you'll have up to 20 scenes in one set.

And then take a bow and sit down.  Easy peasy! 

Hope you enjoyed this.


Improv at Strike Theater


Yesterday, I visited my friend Mark Knutson who was in the hospital. He is at St. Francis for a lung issue. I met Mark after hosting an Improv Jam for people with disabilities. Meeting Mark helped open me up to the disabled community in Minnesota.  I never attended adapted sports as a kid, like Mark did, so hosting the jam was my first introduction to this community as an adult.
Pokemon ball (Tododial)

I bought my son a Pokemon ball. My son loves to sleep with all of his toys on the first day he gets them. Currently he's sleeping with two plushy pillows and Tododial.


Here's my Grateful list for this week:

Grateful for fun things to try
Playing with improvisers.
For thinking big in terms of possibilities in the universe.
I'm grateful for the connection to the community.


This was my week, how was yours?  Let me know in the comments below.



 

ON THE BLOG


Reading






I started reading "Dreams and Shadows" . It was recommended as a similar novel to Ted Chiang "Stories of Your Life" .Synopsis: something is missing from Ewan and Colby's lives. Residing in the corners of their memories is their time in Limestone Kingdom, a realm filled with magic and mystery, a world where only some may travel amongst the menagerie of mystical souls and sinister demons.

I was introduced to Sadhguru after he gave a talk about the difference between pain and suffering.  He describes pain as something physical, and something we need to save our lives and to warn us to make changes in healthy life choices. But suffering is what issues we bring into our lives and hold on to.











10 comments:

  1. The difference between pain and suffering? Interesting.

    Keeping a gratitude list is very helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! All that snow! I always enjoy it here, especially when it means I get a snow day and don't have to go to work! I love hearing about your improv and how it all works. I wish I lived closer because I'd want to go watch! Hope you have a good week and thanks for visiting me on Lisa Loves Literature earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we get snow. It's unbelievable sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Really interesting look into what goes on behind the scenes at improv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Karen. I hope to share more behind the scenes of improv as it may inform more perspective actors to get on board:)

      Delete
  4. I got cold just looking at that picture. One thing I don't miss in Florida is the snow we used to have in New York. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a clever (and fun) gif. Thanks for introducing me to Sadhguru. That definition of the difference between pain and suffering struck home. I will have to explore further.
    I hope your friend in hospital is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, check out Sadhguru. I think when we create awareness about our health and wellness it creates change.

      Delete
  6. My daughter loved Pokemon as a kid and still plays Pokemon Go as an adult. I would love some snow here, send some over. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pokemon is a great game for kids.I'm glad its stuck around.

      Delete

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter