Sunday, November 13, 2022

Sunday post

via GIPHY

via GIPHY

 

The Sunday Post is a blog news meme hosted here @ Caffeinated Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on your blog for the week ahead. Join in weekly, bi-weekly or for a monthly wrap up. See rules here: Sunday Post Meme


 

LOOKING FORWARD to November


I went to an Opera this week at Southern Theatre.  Proving up is an opera about the American Dream, told through the story of Nebraskan homesteaders in the 1870s.


I also went to see Family Dinner at HUGE theater.  This was a fun improv show where characters gather for a holiday dinner and reveal to one another secrets while eating their meal on stage.


I also met up with my sister who is currently teaching gymnastics for kids.  She seems to be enjoying the kids and the energy.








I did an Improv scene online where this couple was in disagreement about who is giving the stare down, and the man in the scene claims that the woman never listens. When the woman suggested that they put cameras and note every time each other not listens, and in this scene the guy calls her out on not listening saying, “You were looking this way and that way and behind you on the camera.”  Eventually, the woman character says she created a PowerPoint that has documented evidence of not listening  from every turn of his head.  The woman character planned to make it a business and stream it, calling it "The couples fight," a reality TV show.

This was my week, how was yours?  Let me know in the comments below.





 

ON THE BLOG


Reading
I started reading this Ted Chiang novel that was remade into a movie in 2016 called "The Arrival". The movie is about a linguistics professor, Louise Banks (Amy Adams) who leads an elite team of investigators when gigantic spaceships touch down in 12 locations around the world. As nations teeter on the verge of global war, Banks and her crew must race against time to find a way to communicate with the extraterrestrial visitors. Hoping to unravel the mystery, she takes a chance that could threaten her life and quite possibly all of mankind.


The film suggests that knowing what will happen in the future doesn't diminish the meaning behind a choice you'll make today. On the contrary, it says every choice you do make can be made knowing it will actively shape what's to come. As Emerson once wrote, life's a journey, not a destination



I was paging through a magazine and I thought I'd pick up a few of these recommended historical reads.




15 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a very productive week. I spent mine mostly staying in out of the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can stay out of the cold. I spent a good portion turning up the heat to high blast with my ride-share clients declaring how toasty it is in the car. (wink)

      Delete
  2. Nice Karen, yes it's been getting quite cold in Minnesota. I can't believe how cold it's gotten, and even slippery on the highways. Hope all goes well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Family Dinner event sounds like fun. It's a great way to set up something that could turn into great drama.

    I like the idea behind The Arrival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing the innovative ideas they come up with at HUGE Improv theater. They will have something similar to a church lock in with an Improvathon. Sounds fun!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a good week. Family Dinner sounds like a fun show. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Yvonne, Family Dinner is so funny because I got to see an actor pick up a Turkey leg and bite into it while declaring something absurd to their scene partner.

      Delete
  5. I guess I should have realized, but I didn't know Arrival was based on a book. I hope you have a great week!

    My Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do check it out. Ted Chiang writes several books and I'm thinking his ideas are out of this world.

      Delete
  6. I loved the movie The Arrival! Family Dinner sounds like it could be a fun improv show to see. Sounds like a pretty good week. Thanks for visiting me at Lisa Loves Literature earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved the Arrival. I'm hoping to watch the whole thing on one of these platforms like Netflix.

      Delete
  7. Your week sounds wonderful. I hope this one is equally as varied and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have to be very intentional when planning my week so I can fit in the things that will make it beautiful.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you had a fun week! I hope this one goes well too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter