Friday, April 28, 2017

Swiss and Brit Writer supports Syria and Iraq @Trin Carl #fridayreads @AquilaElba

Vince Rockston pictured (above)
Swiss and Brit writer, Vince Rockston, joins me today to talk about writing.


Rockston is Swiss by parentage and Brit by birth. In his spare time he explores the surrounding woods and pastures on the e-bike he was given when he retired. He also plays online Chess, Sudoku or Words with Friends and is heavily involved with supporting refugees from Syria and Iraq.
Vince's current novel in progress is Aquila, set on the Isle of Elba in the 6th century.  It’s the story of the life-changing encounter between the troubled Pagan lad Silvanus and the Christian hermit Cerbonius. Find more about Aquila here www.aquilaelba.info. 

And onto the interview...
Vince, do you remember the first story you ever wrote?
One thing I remember – I have it still! – is an illustrated booklet I produced in primary school about my home island of (Old) Jersey.
Another is an essay I wrote when I was about fourteen. The title was a word of my own invention –  Crevicles – and it described the many odd articles that gather and multiply in odd corners, drawers, etc., especially those of little children: broken toys, pens, paper clips, fancy stones, marbles, tape, scissors, erasers, pencil sharpeners, elastic bands, forgotten keys, a model of the Eiffel Tower, a wooden whistle, a souvenir thermometer, and such like.
As a child, I never wrote more than the obligatory weekly essay. The idea of writing fiction came to me much later in life.

Any tips on what to do and what not to do when writing?
I’m not very disciplined when it comes to writing. But then I’ve never felt under time pressure to meet specific goals. Some people like music playing as they write but I need peace and quiet.
For serious writers, who want to make a living from their books, it would be an advantage to eliminate distractions.

Find a quiet place like a hut in the woods, or let others know you don’t want to be interrupted for a certain period; switch off your phone, ignore emails and disconnect from the Internet. Scrivener, for instance, has a ‘Composition mode’, which blanks out all other windows.
What other free time activities do you have and how do they influence your writing?
As I’m retired, all my time is ‘free’. I am in contact with several families of refugees in my neighbourhood; their totally different cultures – language, religious convictions, traditions, etc. – broaden my perspective on life but are also often a challenge. Otherwise, I like to




 cycle in the woods

or hike in the mountains


;that gives me time to think and the wonders of nature inspire me. I’m also involved with Christian activities.
My writing is the composite sum of all that I am and is coloured by everything I experience.
Do you write full-time or part-time?


Part-time. I’ve never liked the idea that a hobby should totally dominate one’s life, to the exclusion of other interests. Of course, for those who want to make a living with their writing it’s a different matter.
Last question, what advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Heed the recommendations of the experts – one bite at a time!
I’ve read quite a few writers’ advice books and many blog articles. At first they made little sense and were quite overwhelming. But gradually I’ve come to realise that scene structure, restrained inclusion of backstory, avoiding adverbs, showing rather than telling, lively pacing, well-developed character arcs, judicious use of antagonists, ending chapters on a cliffhanger, etc. were all excellent advice.
But I tended to ignore the tips I didn’t at first understand and not let them bother me. Later, when they made more sense, I tried to incorporate them in my revision process.

Contact Vince on his blog: https://greyowl.wordpress.com/ or on facebook

Vince, Thanks for joining me.

Thanks for having me.
Readers, if you have a special place where you go to write, please let me know in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter