Friday, March 24, 2017

Interview with #Canadian #Youtuber

I couldn't wait for March Readathon season, mainly for the return of booktubers.
Jennifer Slater is with us today shouting her love of books from INnerSANITY channel. She can be contacted on twitter, goodreads, and instagram

Jennifer's link to her channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYRwWRT-R0VxQoxTEqtzHSQ

And onto the interview..
Jennifer, was it hard getting your booktube channel started? What was some of the planning?

Well I wouldn't say it was hard per say. I had a camera to film on, a video editor, and I had TONS OF BOOKS!! So I already had everything I needed when I decided to start making videos. It was just a matter of deciding what kinds of videos I was going to film.


I watched a bunch of different booktubers to see what kind of things they were filming.. and picked stuff that appealed to me. Book tags are popular and fun,

And the ever popular TBR's (to be read) and WRAP UPS (what you actually read) for each month. Of course the first video I made was the "New to Booktube Tag" I think a lot of people would agree that when you first start making videos, it's a little weird talking to the camera.
I kept on feeling self conscious and kind of embarrassed for some reason.. I was alone while filming, so I really shouldn't have been - but it just took some getting used to. That was the most difficult part for me. Just being able to be natural in front of the camera.. and just go with it.

Some things to keep in mind for those of us out there who want to start a channel.


So, which writers inspire you?

I think any writer that is able to tell a good story that has emotion and drama and humor is inspiring. I really love Joy Fielding's writing. She has this way of really being able to draw me into her stories. Her character development is great and you can really picture everything as you're reading. I love her style of writing. I've laughed out loud while reading all her books and I've also cried.

Other favorite authors of mine are Karin Slaughter, Tania Carver, Erica Spindler, Jonathan Kellerman, Dean Koontz, Stephen King, and Lisa Jackson to name just a few!

Quite a list you got there! I'm reading Stephen King's, End of Watch. I love Stephen King. I love that he reaches out to writers and even has a book called On Writing to help writers with their craft.

What drew you to mystery/thrillers😱?

I've always loved this genre.. even as a child I remember taking out scary books from the library. Books about ghosts, supernatural stuff.. and when I was older I loved the VC Andrews books series.

I guess I love being scared because I really love horror movies and thrillers as well. One of my favorite TV shows is Law & Order: SVU. So a lot of my favorite authors are the ones who write books about detectives and the killers they're after. A lot of the stories in plot lines in those types of books I can see being on an episode of SVU.

For your own reading, do you prefer ebooks or traditional paper/hard back books?

Oh my gosh real books all the way!! I love holding something tangible in my hands and having them to put in my bookshelves and bring them out to look at them and touch them - I also really love the smell of books. I love flipping the pages - you can't get that with e-books. I find it so much harder to get into the story on an iPad or tablet - it's just not the same!

Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?

Definitely! That's what attracts you to pick up the book in the first place.. then you'll look at the synopses. I'll even sometimes look online to see which cover versions I like better- because they are different in the U.K. from the US.


What would you say are the main advantages and disadvantages of self-publishing against being published or the other way around?

Well this I'm not to sure about.. I suppose with self publishing you wouldn't get as much exposure as you would with a publishing company. It would take a lot more work to get your book noticed.

Although there would probably be a lot of pressure to get your writing
done - deadlines and such - with a publisher.. whereas you'd be able to go at your own pace and write it the way you want when you self publish.



New to BOOKTUBE TAG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IA5g_BkyMY


What inspires you to get out of bed each day?

Sometimes it's the need to go to the washroom.. lol
Other times it's thinking about getting back into that book that's just so good..
or wanting to go out to the used bookstore to see what I can find..

I also do a lot of art - I love adult coloring books and playing around with my art apps and playing with my photos - making them into weird and freaky images / if I'm feeling really inspired artistically I won't be able to sleep!


Do you enjoy writers like Michael Connelly, John Sandford, John Grisham?

I LOVED 😍 The Prey series by John Sanford - I read a bunch of those while I was pregnant. I know there's more now - I think I may have to go to that used bookstore and find that series again and re-read them! Thanks for reminding me of it!

Yeah no problem, as long as were on the topic John Sandford. He has also written in chronological order : the Virgil Flowers Series, The Kidd Series, and The Singular Menace Series. (breathes in and out)
Do I have them all? Oh, yeah he's got several other novels not in a series as well.

As far as thrillers go, I also have a bunch of Michael Connelly's books from my mom too but I haven't read those yet. As for John Grisham-- while I didn't mind the movies based on his books I haven't ever felt any strong desire to pick up his books to actually read them. But I think I'd probably enjoy some of them if I did read them.

Oh you should totally read Michael Connelly. I finished 'Lincoln Lawyer.' I felt that the novel was far better than the movie. I also read Connelly's, The Fifth Witness, Reversal, and The God's of Guilt. I really like the audio book narrator, Peter Giles and really got into all the books he narrates. His voice reminds me of a movie commentator's.

If you could be asked any question in an interview, what would that be?

Wow that's kind of hard!! Hmm maybe something like "what kinds of things do you think are

important in life?"


And to that I'd answer "..always be yourself! Enjoy what you do! It's ok to be goofy! Make sure to laugh often!! If you have children - always talk to them about everything and anything!! Tell the people you love that you love them often!! And LOVE with all your heart."😀😀

I agree with you, I'm a total goofball,  just ask anyone who follows me on twitter.  
Well, that's all the time we have today folks.  If you have any questions or comments for Jennifer, let her know in the comments below.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter