Tuesday, March 14, 2017

British writer Dacarri Buchelli

With us today is British Fantasy Novelist, Daccari Buchelli. Aspergers Syndrome made it difficult for him to identify with his peers, thus Daccari often felt lonely until he picked up a book. His thoughtful words can be found on twitter and goodreads.
On onto the interview...

Let's get down to the nitty-gritty, what have you written?
I have written various novels and novellas over the past six years, though at present I have only published one, a fantasy novel entitled Phoenix. I frequently write blogs and the occasional bit of poetry online, but am hoping to release a second novel later this year.


Which writers inspire you?


Terry Goodkind and J. K. Rowling have been such inspirations to me. Both focus on the Fantasy genre, though their target audiences vary from one another.


Goodkind creates epic fantasy novels that sport graphic violence and fierce magical beings, while Rowling has a softer touch with stories that could delight a person of any age. The style and determination of these two authors has sustained me throughout my own writing experience.

You'll probably be shocked to read this but this is the first time I've heard of Terry Goodkind. I'll add him to my authors to read.



Dacarri, what are your ambitions for your writing career?
I would like for my work to be an inspiration to someone, so that they may seek out their own dreams and strive to fulfill them. Sure, like most writers, I would love to reach best seller status one day, but being at the start of my professional career, I know that's unlikely to happen any time soon. For me, as long as my work leaves a positive mark on the world, then I have achieved what I set out to do.
Which writers inspire you?
Terry Goodkind and J. K. Rowling have been such inspirations to me. Both focus on the Fantasy genre, though their target audiences vary from one another.
Goodkind creates epic fantasy novels that sport graphic violence and fierce magical beings, while Rowling has a softer touch with stories that could delight a person of any age. The style and determination of these two authors has sustained me throughout my own writing experience.
You'll probably be shocked to read this, but this is the first time I've heard of Terry Goodkind. I'll add him to my authors to read.

Dacarri, what are your ambitions for your writing career?


I would like for my work to be an inspiration to someone, so that they may seek out their own dreams and strive to fulfil them. Sure, like most writers, I would love to reach best seller status one day, but being at the start of my professional career, I know that's unlikely to happen any time soon. For me, as long as my work leaves a positive mark on the world, then I have achieved what I set out to do.


What are you currently working on and what is it about?


I am currently working on two separate novels. One, Book Two of The Peradon Fantasy Series, leads off five years after the events of Book One and sees Queen Violetta Flame journey the four realms of Peradon in order to save that which is most precious to her, her daughter, Elinor.
The other novel I'm working on is a bit different from my usual work. It's a thriller aimed at those aged sixteen and up. The main character, Evylia Wilde, has been plagued by strange dreams since the night her parents disappeared fifteen years ago.
At Seventeen years of age, she begins to make a startling connection that there is more to these dreams than meets the eye. Evylia (whom I also refer to as Evy) is a strong willed young woman and it is a pleasure to be able to work with her, even if she is a fictional character.
What drew you to write in this genre?
I suppose I was first drawn to fantasy because of the kind of books my sister read. She did most of the reading in our family home and so I often got handed her books once she had finished with them. Some of her favourite authors were Phillip Pulman, Garth Nix, and Kelly Armstrong, so naturally I began to read quite a lot of Fantasy and quickly developed a taste for it.
For your own reading, do you prefer e-books or traditional paper/hard back books?
I'm a bit fickle when it comes to reading. While I do love the convenience of being able to travel and read with an e-reading device, there is nothing that compares to actually holding a print book in your hands and turning every crisp page. The smell of real paper, particularly old library books, is astounding and I could never part from my paperback books. As for a preference, I don't think I have one. I adore both of these ways of reading.
Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?
Definitely. Your book cover can make or break it for potential readers. It is the first thing they see and if it catches their eye, then its much more likely that they'll want to read the synopsis. Personally, if I don't like a books cover but if the premise intrigues me, I would prefer to purchase the e-book version, but if the cover grabs me from the get go, then I feel like I have to have a print copy.
In addition to this, your cover style will play a crucial role in drawing in your target audience. If the cover looks more cartoonish than anything else, then you're more likely to draw in parents with children, than you would other audiences.
I saw that you also do reviews on your blog and some of the books have fantastic book covers including God's Rogue by Kevin S. Chambers.

What would you say are the main advantages and disadvantages of self-publishing against being published or the other way around?
Publicity tends to be somewhat difficult to maintain when self-published. There is a wealth of information online with people advising you on what to do and not do, yet a good portion of what we see on self-publishing blogs is utter rubbish. As a self-publisher, I believe that we as a community are forced to wade through the muck, to try and reach those golden nuggets of advice that we're searching for.
One advantage traditionally published authors appear to have is in not needing to do the main portion of marketing, if any marketing, for their works. There are people behind them that would take care of that.
On the other hand, self-published authors are expected to be Jacks of All Trades, even when most of the online tips we receive do not distinguish the crucial differences between terms such as book marketing and book promotion. We must teach ourselves every step of the complex process that is publishing and simply hope that our research and sacrifices pay off in time.
I do find it somewhat ludicrous that self publishers like myself are expected to be masters of marketing our own work when authors in the traditional sector are not expected to do so. Though I can fully understand and appreciate why there is a difference in expectations, it does demonstrate an unfair prejudice towards self-published authors.


In many ways, they are deemed as less talented and capable than those individuals that have been traditionally published. All I can say (having been a reviewer for many self publishers and Indie Authors) is that the self published works I've read over the past year have been so much more than the traditionally published books I have read. They have possessed a fire in them that has filled my soul with wonder and enjoyment every step of the way. They have taught me new life lessons and helped me to improve upon my own writing skills.


Do you have any advice for other authors on how to market their books?
Yes, I do. To all of the self-publishers or would be publishers out there, the first tip I give you is to sit down and define the difference between marketing and promotion, as well as book publicity. Just by knowing the differences between these core terms, you can make a change to your current efforts and focus on strategies that will actually help to get your book out there.
What part of your writing time do you devote to marketing your book?
I'd say that I devote a good fifty percent of my time to finding ways of marketing and, or promoting my work. Personally, I wish that I could spend more time writing, but I am hoping that my determination to get my book noticed will pay off.
That's all the time we have today folks.  You can get in contact with Dacarri at any of the methods below.  Readers, if you have any words for Dacarri please write them in the comments below and I'll see to it he receives them.

Instagram: @daccari.buchelli.author
Pinterest: https://uk.pinterest.com/DaccariBuchelli/
Author website: www.buchellibooks.com
Blog: https://buchellibooksblog.blogspot.co.uk/
Pronoun: https://books.pronoun.com/daccaribuchelli/


Email: Daccarim93@yahoo.co.uk





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter