Monday, February 11, 2013

"Moloka'i" by Allan Brennert







I read "Molokai" by Allan Brennert while dancing around my room while taking pictures of myself.  Doing absolutely anything while reading this novel seems as guilty as sin.  But maybe it's the appreciation of life that draws you in.  



This novel takes place on on island where people with leprosy are sent.  If I hadn't ran around my own room cleaning I probably wouldn't have gotten in the head of most of these characters.  These characters were treated as if they weren't clean.  And the only way you got off that island near Hawaii is if you proved that you were.  Half japanese character,Ben kimo this fact but when he gets a chance to leave, he decides to stay on with his wife who doesn't have the same lucky fate.

One astonishing line never left my attention from the novel, "little itch little itch please go away," the character is referring to a symptom of leprosy, how astonishingly small gesture, when this disease had literally eat away at one's own body parts, and yet the character copes with the likeliness that the disease is destroying her body by making amends with it.

share

Follow me on Twitter