Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Theater Review: Reboot, a Virtual Production from Walking Shadow Theatre




Who says we can’t Reboot together?

More than a year into the COVID-19 pandemic, it's clear some shows will still be going virtual, as Minnesota is operating at seventy percent. Walking Shadow theatre has created an interactive hybrid play, combined with an escape room. It's a chance for a small audience to solve collaborative puzzles and unlock ethical conundrums.

After a fun-filled Saturday, I got ready for Reboot on ZOOM (July 18th). I had been accustomed to seeing shows on ZOOM, but felt certain the collaboration component would add an extra layer.

The instructions before the show asked that I use a laptop to participate in the production and not a phone. I realized the reason as soon as I got into the room.

The show's main character, a government covert agent named Halo(Jamila Joiner), needed to be center frame.  I needed to see the other agents  at the same time as well.

We were all asked to open hacked links and extract codes, comparing our data and holding up symbols to the video camera for others to examine. I felt like Dan Brown in The Davinci Code. Any error, and we wouldn’t be able to move forward, stakes were high, adding to the excitement.

Agent Halo asked the half dozen participants to choose an anonymous agent name, images of Men in Black came to mind, and Halo’s white and black attire added to that feeling.

Although Derek “Duck” Washington’s show is scripted, agent Halo’s tone suggests otherwise, the character moves around her ZOOM window with ease as she directs patrons. I trust the agent and our ability to solve the puzzles. There were moments I poke fun and jibe with other patrons, eager to show off.

During the second half, when an avatar comes on screen, I’m convinced this is the future of theater and begin to question Agent Halo’s real mission. The robotic voice and fuzzy background took the stage as it asks patrons questions like: "What is modern music like?" It has been shut off for the last thirty four years and is curious. I ponder what is different and was eager to share an answer, glad to be of service.

Little pieces of information are dispersed into the scene. I had to decipher what to make of it, and whether any of it was pertinent. I got the feeling that someone was messing with my head.

Our team’s ability to tie together countless plot threads lead to our demise as we got closer to the end. But this dystopian plot had me engaged regardless, as it addresses ethical dilemmas and our trust in technology.  It reminded me of Ready Player One.  

Find out more about what Walking Shadow theatre has to  offer at https://www.walkingshadow.org/

2 comments:

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter