Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Writer, Jacqueline Levering Sullivan #amreading #amjoy

Writer, Jacqueline Levering Sullivan is with me today to discuss her writing. 



 Jacqueline was born in Tacoma, Washington.  She is the author of Annie’s War and A Less Than Perfect Peace. Annie’s War won the Kentucky Bluegrass Master List award, was granted the International Reading Association’s Children’s Book award, and was chosen as a finalist for the Children’s Crown Award. A Less Than Perfect Peace was awarded a Best Children’s Book by Bank Street College. Jacqueline is also a retired professor of Writing who founded the Writing Center at Pitzer College and lives in California.



Q:  Jacqueline, tell us about your writing process and the way you brainstorm story ideas?

A: My books start with an image and then a theme suggested by that image. I take time to brainstorm from there and keep a notebook full of notes that include memories, observations, anecdotes etc. The more I write, the more ideas come up that lead me to what is central to the story. I usually know how I want the story to end, but sometimes my characters convince me to change my mind. I also do historical and cultural research to verify such things as major events of the time, fashion, politics, music and even the weather. For example, it was important for A Less Than Perfect Peace to get the actual details of the Tacoma blizzard that opens the novel.    

Q:  What is your favorite motivational phrase?

A: I set my books in an historical context because I want young people to "understand the strong shoulders they stand on."

Q:  What writer pushed you to think differently about your life?

A: Different authors at different times in my life have influenced how I think about my life. The following are four of those authors: Claude Brown, John Gardner, Joan Didion, and the poet, Doug Anderson.

Q:  What inspires you to get out of bed each day?

A: I often have scenes or characters pop into my head just as I am falling to sleep or waking up and used to keep a notebook by the bed. So I need to get up and get everything down before I lose the thread.

Q:  What do your fans mean to you?

A: I am probably more excited than the young people who come to book events. At an event for Annie's War, a line of little girls were waiting for me at the bookstore when I arrived. I was delighted. A schoolgirl in Montana even made that book into a movie as a class project. How great is that? And at a book launch for A Less Than Perfect Peace, a whole girl scout troop showed up. I also hear from parents occasionally. And best of all, some of my former students have found me through my books. 

More about Jacqueline

Book info: ★Amazon Buy Link: Lovesick Author Info: ★ Author’s contact info: contact@bamliterature.com ★ Author’s website: http://www.jleveringsullivan.com/ ★ Author’s social media links: Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Jacqueline-LeveringSullivan/e/B001JRXVDGGoodreads:



Readers, please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter