Monday, March 5, 2018

#Polish Writer Marcin Dolecki #interview #amreading #amjoy

Marcin Dolecki is joining me today. A philosopher, chemist and historian of chemistry (PhD). , Marcin develops his own metaphysical concept – oneiric personalism. He is also interested in political geography and in the history of Ethiopia. He loves cycling and vintage buses.
Philosopher, chemist and historian of chemistry (PhD).

Marcin, What have you written?
Apart from several publications concerning the history of chemistry and philosophy, I wrote a novel and a short fairy tale: Asalda, the Queen of the Mice (posted on my blog). The novel was published in Polish (Jeden z możliwych światów, One of the Possible Worlds, Attyka, Warszawa 2013), and in English (Philosopher’s Crystal: The Treacherous Terrain of Tassatarius - being an enlarged and changed version of it, Montag Press, the first edition: Oakland 2016, the second edition: 2017). The main characters living under a totalitarian regime travel in time and talk with chosen famous thinkers. The primary topic of their discussions is some problems of the philosophy of religion. I tried to avoid propaganda, yet I know that there is no so-called royal viewpoint in philosophy, from which an author would be able to assess unmistakeably the value of – for example – metaphysical concepts. No one could take the privileged position – like monarchs from the past who used to overlook battles from the top of a hill. The cultural and personal background is an advantage and limitation at the same time.
If you could talk to any famous writer, what would you say?
I admire, i.a., Lemony Snicket (the nickname used by Daniel Handler) – for his melancholic yet brilliant and surprising sense of humor, depicted, among others, in „A Series of Unfortunate Events”. One quote, for example: „For Beatrice – you were pretty, and I was lonely. Now, I am pretty lonely.” This series might be classified as young adult literature, nevertheless, it is also a great reading for adults, I was fully captivated by all these stories.
I would ask Daniel Handler about his favorite books when he was a child. It’s of great interest to me to find out, how famous writers and philosophers were influenced by their first books, how they shaped their minds and their writing style.


What is your favorite movie and why?
Run Lola Run, a German film (1998, with Franka Potente). It depicted quite different possible outcomes of events, when their circumstances were changed only slightly. Viewers have an opportunity to see many versions of the same story. I think that the plot – the loss of bag with money by Lola’s boyfriend and its consequences  – was only secondary there.
Many people usually are not aware of this very fact that the course of  their life often depends on tiny details, for example, even one word, or one gesture, could essentially change it.

How much research do you do?
I’ve been analyzing works of the philosophers mentioned in my book for many years, for academic and personal purposes. My master’s thesis in philosophy concerned the teaching of St. Augustine about The Holy Trinity. I was a philosophy lecturer at the University of Warsaw, and I absolutely loved it. The idea to write it down in a novel came only later, about five years ago. I chose some of my favorite thinkers to became protagonists of this story, i.a.., Augustine. I also looked for information about the daily live in the Roman Empire and 17th century Amsterdam.
I believe that many readers feel when an author only speculates, describing life in centuries long gone, because his/her uncertainty about it could be quite visible in texts.

Last question, do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
The first option, definitely. I like to enrich subsequently in details the core structure of the story.

Thank you very much for this interview. Feel free to visit my blog:








1 comment:

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter