Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Writer, Kitty Honeycutt #amreading #amjoy

Kitty Honeycutt is with me today to talk about her current novel, "Where This World Ends." Kitty is a publisher for over 100 authors, a writer, an entrepreneur, a singer and an animal and human rights activist.





Kitty, what makes your main character special?  The main character is Armand and what makes him so special is he’s a vampire getting close to the end of the road, meaning that his time is coming where he will become unable to gain sustenance and he’ll either become a monster confined to the sewers below the great city of New Orleans or he’ll leave so he does not become a pariah to his family. Being the monster he knows he’ll become he feels he would only be a burden to them.  In this world when a vampire’s time is up they start to change, they become ugly and cruel, he doesn’t want that. He still knows what it feels like to be human and he cannot shake the emotions. He longs to be human again but knows that will not happen.



If you could drop in on a book you read as a kid which book is it?

I had a book of Grimm’s Fairy tales when I was younger. I had the true version with all of the horrors that went along with it. A lot of the fairy tales you see today are cute and sweet, the Grimm brother’s, I don’t believe, never had intentions of it being so watered down. They wanted to show kids through fairy tales, the dangers that were out there. I loved it and I would love to spend a day in that book and play the key roles in all the fairy tales. I would love to be the hero or heroine in those tales.

What is the hardest thing about writing your current book?

The plot and keeping everything straight throughout the book. People, places, times, it’s all a huge part of the story overall and one mistake could make or break the reader’s interest. You always want to make them want more and doing that can, at times be hard.

The writing experience altogether is hard because there are some days that you want to do anything but write and then some days you want to write so bad and can’t because you are otherwise engaged in something else. The toughest part is getting through the novel and being done to the point for editing and then… it only gets harder. You end up going over your book so many times you can’t believe you wrote all those words. It’s crazy!

What were you like in high school?



I was the quiet kid, I hung out with the head bangers, the heavy metal group but I was very reserved whereas some of my friends were crazy and wanted to have fun all the time. The coolest thing I ever did was skip school and now you have kids eating Tide Pods. I’m always thinking to myself… what next? It’s a crazy world out there and there are some kids now that would get beat to death if they’d tried some of the things they do now back when I was growing up. I’m lucky though, I had a daughter that has her head on straight and she doesn’t care about any of the crazy stuff that kids do now. She’s completely her own person and she’s fine with that. I am too.


Do you find feedback from writers’ critiques helpful?

YES! Critiques are extremely helpful and I take them to heart so that my next novel will be better than the last. I don’t think I’m done learning yet, and I don’t get upset when people tell me things they found in my novels that are not right. I take it with a grain of salt (and sometimes a margarita)🍹🍹 then I simply sit down think on it and learn from it.

That’s what you have to do in life; it’s definitely no different when writing a book. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, books are like pearls, they take time to develop and every single one is as rare as the one before. You have to refine and be that oyster, the one that just won’t give up until your pearl is the very best you can possibly make it.

Thanks Kitty for joining me.

Thanks for having me.

Contact Kitty:


Readers, please comment below.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter