Sunday, January 14, 2024

Sunday Post

via GIPHY

 



LOOKING FORWARD TO January


This week I went to spontaneous writers and actors and I wrote a fun piece about the CEO of an airline admonishing his employees for some really funny things he's been noticing at the workplace. Several other people wrote pieces about sitting next to someone on the plane and them letting out gas or chasing after a loved one in the airport like a comedy rom-com


Earlier in the week, I was going to meet a friend at a place called the Fox Den which is like a warehouse room with a lot of board games, but by the time I got there I realized I was so loaded up on caffiene that if I didn't eat something, I was going to go crazy, so a friend of mine just went to Dairy Queen and had some food and played Dominoes and Uno with my son Zulfi.




I got into a Discussion with some people about Turkey and we talked about a city called Pendik and I noticed this city has a small theme park for kids to enjoy.



Earlier in the week, one of  y YMCA dance instructor's was on vacation and asked two of her student's to lead the class, and I got the idea that I would take her up on this offer in the future and see what it was like.



Lastly, we talked about this turkish food called Borek, which I'm reminded of eating foods similar to this several times in my life.


ON THE BLOG

Reading

Accidentally Amy

When the line at the coffee shop is taking too long, she finds herself claiming an abandoned drink meant for someone named Amy. So when Izzy accidentally dumps that drink all over a handsome stranger, he's under the impression that the cute girl he just had the perfect meet cute with is named Amy.

I'm loving this book.  The main character sends texts back and forth to her love interest who is also some she works with and she justifies her frat-inizing by saying things "Well, it's not a date if I just happen to be at this cafe at this time, and he just happens to be there (she wrote down his habits and routines). Or he can take my bike home, but I'll run home, and therefore we won't be in a car together.   The two of them also play this elaborate game with their friends that involves drinking games and various silly athletic competitions that reminded me faintly of games from the tv series, "New Girl." 




I loved this Nonfiction self help book and plan to reference it several times in the next few weeks to get back into the habit of my own writing..  It's similar to the Power of Habit and it talks extensively about the habits of a writer and it made me think and want to discuss some of my most important habits. This included
Sitting down to write continuously,
Turning off the smartphone
Writing for at least twenty minutes.
Writing in a different environment-In my case at the Library
Have a structure to the writing process
Committing to the process-it gives the example of how one writer was taking master classes, while also writing a book and how long it took him two hours of writing everyday at a specific time in the day.


Here are some other ha


  1. Focus on the wildly important. This means a small number of extremely essential goals. ...
  2. Act on lead measures. ...
  3. Keep a compelling scoreboard. ...
  4. Create a cadence of accountability.



8 comments:

  1. Boreks are good, but in fact all Turkish food is very good! It's been quite a while since we were there, i'd love to go back and try more.
    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to get to turkey, and eat their delicious food.

      Delete
  2. Boreks sound delicious! I'll have to find some! The spontaneous skits sound like they were fun and would have had me laughing! A long time ago when step aerobics were the thing and I was taking a class, I filled in for some teachers once in a while, that was interesting! I started Accidentally Amy and wasn't getting into it at first, which is weird because I love Lynn Painter books. But I'll try going back to it sometime when I have a long road trip I think! Have a good week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard lots of good things about Deep Work. Accidentally Amy looks like fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Accidentally Amy looks really good. I'll have to look for that one. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a full week. Hope you have a good week this week.

    ReplyDelete

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter