Saturday, January 6, 2024

Sunday Blog post

via GIPHY

 

 


LOOKING FORWARD TO OCTOBER



Last Saturday, I went to an event at Hamline University called Beyond Bars:Voices of Incarceration.(Mnprisonwriting.org) . The Minnesota Prison Writing Workshop works with the Creative writing programs at Hamline University to help prisoners learn how to write essays and express themselves. I spoke with a man named Paul who also works with Veterans Telling Stories, which is a Minnesota-based project dedicated to teaching creative writing to military Veterans and their family members. This program offers a 10 -week free course online to veterans and their families.

 




 I listened to essays that explored prison life.  It was very emotional and uniting.  They have something called the Reentry lab that helps those previously incarcerated.  They are calling people who work in capacities like duplex owners or spiritual leaders to help the community get rehabilitated.



This week,I went to Writers group and wrote a few stories and read them for a room of 25 people.
.

 


On Monday, I went to the periodontics to do more work towards a crown on my back molar. Boy did that hurt! Luckily not as much as the previous time, because I didn't have any exposed nerves during this visit.


We also performed improv inspired from "Whose Line is it Anyway" 
I'm in the Video posted below  on YouTube


That's my week. Tell me about yours in the comments below.



ON THE BLOG

Reading






American Precariat

a Book of Fifteen essays coedited by a collective of award-winning incarcerated writers, pre-order the book here

6 comments:

  1. That event sounds like it would be very intense. I think it would be good though! I'll have to check out your video as I love Whose Line is it Anyway, and all the skits they do! I have something going on in my gums, I think it might require some major dentistry, but I'm putting it off because, pain and money, right? lol Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it gets better Lisa. I learned in the last few years that anything related to your gums and mouth can have direct implications to the rest of your organs so I try my best to take care but it's the dental appointments are scary;)

      Delete
  2. I think it is wonderful when prisoners and veterans get an opportunity to write down and read aloud their stories. We don't often get to hear these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting event. I hope you are feeling well after the periodontic work. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne. The work is coming along albeit quite slow

      Delete

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter