Saturday, May 4, 2019

Sunday Post/Sunday Salon #amjoy #davidhydepierce @CaffeinatedbookReviewer




The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted  @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things  received. Share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. See rules here: Sunday Post Meme

LOOKING FORWARD TO may

This week I listened to a lot of actors and comedians give talks.  One of which was David Hyde Pierce who sat in at Guest Artist series at School of Drama, The New School
via GIPHY

David is an American actor and director. He is best known for playing psychiatrist Dr. Niles Crane on the NBC sitcom Frasier.  He also played the brother of Meg Ryan's character in Sleepless in Seattle.

David talked about theater and what works on stage: "things are a lot funnier when they're not laid out in front of you, you feel like you discovered the joke versus someone telling you about it." He also talks about Chekhov and the play: The Cherry Orchard and how hard it was to put on the play because in the short Stories everything is there and Chekhov with just the lines (the script) , we saw how far we had to go to fill it."
He also talked about how he thought he’d become a pianist one day and how he realized he’d never be a good enough after going school at Yale undergrad.  He pursued a acting job in New York and if he’d ever stop and thought about how hard it was to make it in NY then he’d probably not be where he is today.  (And that’s so true about so many things in our life.) David also talked about:

-the distractions off-stage and a family eating a bucket full of chicken while watching his performance

-Acting tips like finding some focal point to talk off stage  

-Support from his family
-His work on Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike


via GIPHY


For a laugh this week I also listened to The Funniest Off-The-Cuff Comebacks on YouTube with celebrities and comedians like Mike Tyson, Conan and Gordon Ramsay .  
I listened to Kevin Hart, Roasting Talk Show Hosts  and I thought about Kevin Hart's process and what he does.
It seems like whenever someone tries to show that they’re smarter than him, he impersonates them and their childish ways. He has this no non-sense approach that says ‘NO, you’re not going to intimidate me, because I’ll always have something to say to you OFF the CUFF, and you’re certainly not going to get to me because I KNOW I’m good.
This week I also watched from a distance the Cinco De Mayo celebration in West St. Paul which kicked off yesterday. I saw some softball games and watched some drummers. Last year there was a shooting during the celebration and this year it's ending at 4 vs 9 due to some funding that was pulled back by places like El Mercado. Cinco de Mayo is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862.
Picture courtesy of Pioneer Press


That was my fun week guys, be sure to let me know about yours in the comments below.

CURRENTLY

Reading: Baby, You're gonna be Mine by Kevin Wilson, Good Luck Charm by Helena Hunting


Listening: Stay Hungry by Sebastian Maniscalco 

Watching: Comedians Roasts talk show Hosts.

ON THE BLOG

Up Coming:


Sunday:Sunday Post

Readers if you want to comment, please do so below.

11 comments:

  1. "Things are a lot funnier when they're not laid out in front of you, you feel like you discovered the joke versus someone telling you about it." I think this is true. Further, I think this is true for books. Even further, I think this is true about wisdom in a book or life, in general.

    What do you think? Am I overgeneralizing?

    I will have to look for Stay Hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you're right. Very philosophical-Deb. I think David Hyde Pierce really hit the money with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A week filled with humor and Cinco de Mayo celebrations sounds perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a great week and the weather is getting better. Happy reading!

    Anne - Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post   

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love David Pierce's story about going to Stanford and changing from being a pianist to being an actor. I'm. glad he stuck with it, despite the ma ny challenges he faced! I'm curious about Good Luck Charm by Helena Hunting. I've read some of the books in her Shacking Up series, and she's hilarious. Happy Cinco de Mayo, I'm glad it's off to a good start :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed watching Frasier, it’s always interesting to learn why someone would choose acting since its such a mercurial profession for most.

    Have a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a pretty good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David Hyde Pierce was very good in the recent version of Hello Dolly! My Sunday Salon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a fun week! Hope you enjoy Good Luck Charm, it's been a while since I read anything by Helena Hunting but I keep meaning to read some of her newer ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are markdown nail salons on pretty much every corner nowadays and a lot of rivalry inside the business. Salons that are higher in cost are presently making a special effort to have practical experience in various, marked frameworks that are creative in the various manners they offer you to deal with your nails.
    Best Brazilian wax near me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its as if you had a great grasp on the subject matter, but you forgot to include your readers. Perhaps you should think about this from more than one angle. sweet shop

    ReplyDelete

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter