Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Shayne Renaud

I'm so excited to have my first guest athlete on my blog today.  Hockey player, Shayne Renaud is here with me to talk about his career and Red Bull Crashed Ice.







Shayne, what have been your major career highlights/achievements in athletics? There are three major achievements I will always remember.

#1- In Bantam AA, I was assistant, and we were in the Regional finals.
I got 2 goals and 1 assist which lead our team to win and lead us to the Dodge Cup Provincials. We ended winning the provincials against a team coached by Patrick Roy, because his son was on the team.
#2-Being Captain of my high school hockey team, Howard S. Billings, just like my dad was.
#3-Making the podium in the Riders Cup in Finland.




Shayne Renaud on the right
What would winning a Red Bull Crashed Ice competition mean to you? 

Every year the competition gets harder and harder with everyone training so hard during the off season. Winning a race, or even just making the podium again, against such a strong group of competitors would meaning the world to me. With all the hard work I've put in on and off the ice, it would be nice to get a good finish.
Is there any way to prepare for the Red Bull course?
To be able to make it down the track is easy. How ever to make it down at a competing level is the hard part. To be able to compete, each rider must be in there best shape. On and off ice trainings are a must. We train in the gym, at the rink, at skating treadmills, at the skate park and anything else that we think will help stay controlled on the ice.
Who has been a hockey hero to you, and why?
I played high level hockey my entire career, however, to be honest I never really had a hero I looked up to. I was always the type of player that was a harder work, grinder type, that would start on the 3rd line and eventually make my way to the first line, being the guy who would battle for the puck and make the plays. So I always respected the players that worked hard to get where they were compared to the super skilled players with a lazy attitude.  
Entering into a new year, what are are a few of your future goals?
I trained really hard this off season, however, 2 months ago I broke two ribs, which made me put my training on hold. This past weekend I had a good start to the season finishing 8th at the Riders Cup in Crans-Montana, Switzerland.
My goal for the end of the season is to solidify my spot in the top 16 in world ranking, and hopefully make the podium again.
Shayne, this is my last question, what were you like in high school?
I was always the most athletic in school, starting when I won the Hilary Sinclair award in elementary school, to winning awards in every sport I played in High School. Whether it was hockey, soccer, rugby, badminton or track and field. I also spent a lot of time BMXing with a lot of my friends which kick started my Xtreme Sport background.
There are three major achievements I will always remember. 1) In Bantam AA, I was assistant, and we were in the Regional finals.

Readers, please comment below.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter