Friday, March 1, 2019

#ThursdayThoughts and Interview @SebLanza #amreading #amjoy

Author, Sebastiano Lanza, is with me today to discuss his work and what inspires him.  Sebastiano was born in Italy and is passionate about non-linear storytelling, labyrinthine plots, and mise en abyme (amidst others), which features heavily in his works.

 His latest work, That Which Must Happen is a literary novel about Benjamin, a child able to foresee and forestall events unfolding in his life and that of others. Yet he dreads to reshape them, for these events intertwine each and every existence in a delicate balance. However, when he senses his sole caretaker’s imminent death, he feels he must intervene.

via GIPHY



Sebastiano, what are your ambitions for your writing career?
 Like everything else in life, I tend to take one step at a time. Six years ago I was quite sure I wouldn't ever be able to write a full-length book. Two years ago I was quite certain I wouldn't get past page 1 of That Which Must Happen. Four months ago I wasn't quite sure I would ever publish That Which Must Happen. And today, here we are.

Which writers inspire you?
The key is to keep your head down and put lots and lots of work in what you do. That way, chances are something above average is going to happen sooner or later. It's been an interesting journey so far, I reckon it'll keep being interesting for the foreseeable future.

 I was always fascinated by Luigi Pirandello's works. He has this way of turning psychological analysis into simple writing and concepts. The crisis of the relative self, his thoughts about humor, the contrast between life and form. These are all subjects worth studying in depth, as they're all enlightening. The fact that we're all wearing a mask, a concept upon which he wrote Uno, Nessuno e Centomila, is an actual psychological concept developed by Jung, (the concept is interpreted slightly differently by the two).
Christopher Nolan's works are a great inspiration as well. Yes, he's a brilliant storyteller. His manipulation of time and subjectivity/objectivity is always enjoyable. His films are study-worthy material. 

So, what have you written?
I have written That Which Must Happen. It's a novel about fate, albeit not the one we're all acquainted with, rather, a series of interconnected events all influenced by each other and, ultimately, by our choices. An active fate. In other words, Wyrd.
Wyrd is an old English word which would imply something or someone is able to control fate. In modern times it evolved into "weird". Think about the weird sisters in Shakespeare's Macbeth, they do predict Macbeth's ascent and downfall.

Sebastiano Lanza
Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special?

Just as I was saying, Benjamin is a child able to control fate. He is able to foresee, forestall, and alter events happening all around him. But does he do that of his own accord? Surely there must be some sort of set of rules to this. What that set of rules is, well, I'm not going to say.
However his personal attachments do get in the way. He was a very interesting character to develop, as I had to think outside the box. I revel in that. He has this mask through which nothing transpires, but inside it's a whirlwind.

What inspires you to get out of bed each day?
 Funny question. You should ask me 
"What inspires you to go to bed each night?"
 I'm not much of a sleep person. It's necessary, yes, but think about how much more you could do in those 6-8 hours of sleep. I could really use those surplus hours each day.
However, if I would have to answer your question, I'd say food.

Links to Sebastiano's novel, That Which Must Happen:


Reach Sebastiano

1 comment:

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter