Thursday, August 1, 2019

Amanda Ronconi @audible_com ‏@mollyharperauth @authordgarrett

 Amanda Ronconi, actress and audiobook narrator is with me today. Ronconi divides her time between New York City and upstate New York. She has a BFA from NYU, where she studied at the Stella Adler Conservatory. She has performed in theaters around New York City and regionally at the Alley, Capital Rep, and many productions at the Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey.  Her voice-over work encompasses nearly 100 audiobooks available on audible.com.


And onto the interview...



Amanda, have you recorded from home and if so, what is the process for recording audio books from home?
Yes, I mostly record from my home studio these days.  The process is the same no matter where I am recording except at home I have a second job, I am the narrator AND the engineer, which means I am in charge of recording on ProTools, the computer program I use.  I am in charge of hitting record when I start talking and hitting stop when I mess up or swallow or a big, rumbly truck goes by outside and I can hear it in the headphones. There’s a lot of technical stuff, organizing audio files, uploading them, etc.  That’s an extra responsibility I never thought I’d have. The plus side of working from home (as I am sure everyone who does knows) is that I am just a few steps from my office and I’m in charge of my own schedule. The minus side is that I am just a few steps from my office and I’m in charge of my own schedule.
Having recorded over 100 books on Audible, how do you keep your voice in shape?
You definitely develop vocal stamina.  I do notice, if I’ve had some time off from recording, that it takes a bit for me to put in a full day.  I drink lots and lots of water. Talking that much is dehydrating (when your mouth is dry, the microphone picks that right up).  You also need mental stamina.  Recording audiobooks is the marathon of the voiceover world.  My recording days are usually 10AM to 4PM, and most of that is spent talking into the microphone.  It can get pretty grueling. The better the material, the easier it is to deliver. I try to avoid getting sick, a cold can stay in your voice for two weeks.  I also try not to turn into a freak about worrying about getting sick.


Do you have favorite genre?
I just like a good story.  If the characters are well-developed and their emotional arc is believable, if the story pulls you along and surprises you on the way—that’s my kind of book. For non-fiction, if I learn something new, I love that.


Have you built relationships with authors along the way?
Yes! I have gotten to know several authors (not in person, just through email correspondence and the occasional phone call).  It’s great. I’ve had authors whose books I have done for a while give me a heads-up, before the final draft is even turned in at the publisher’s, to let me know, “hey my next book has a main character with an Australian accent”, or “my next books are all set in the Louisiana bayou, you better get cracking on those accents.”  It’s great to get a little lead time, because often you don’t get a giant window for recording once you have the job.
Are you working on anything now?
Yes, I am just about to start recording a dog-training book, which I am psyched about, because I hope I can apply it to my sweet but incorrigible dog.  I also record a new Molly Harper title for Audible this week, which is always a treat.



More about Amanda Ronconi:
Website:  AmandaRonconi.com

facebook: /amandaDronconi



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

share

Follow me on Twitter