Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2026

Sunday blog post

 This week was a little bit of a mix of comedy, rehearsals, the library, and getting my son settled into fifth grade.

On Tuesday, my son went back to school. He’s in fifth grade now, and since he’s been at the same school for a few years, he already knows a lot of his classmates. It was nice to get him back into that routine.

Earlier in the week, I went to Acme Comedy with some of the other comics. We spent some time mingling with the other comedians and asking people if they wanted to come to our upcoming Slideshow Karaoke rehearsal. We’ll be doing a show at Eighth Street Eat Street in South Minneapolis, where we’ll be doing comedy and silly characters along with slideshows. The rehearsal will be September 29 from 6 to 8 p.m., so we’re trying to get more people involved before then.

I also went to Minneapolis Central Library to check out some of the spaces there. I had no idea they had such a large theater space. It was actually kind of fun to walk around and see what was available, especially since we may eventually use some of those spaces for rehearsals. There’s something different about seeing a space in person before you actually have a rehearsal there.

On Wednesday, we were supposed to do another stand-up comedy workshop at Rick Bronson’s House of Comedy at Mall of America. My stand-up friend Reese and I started doing these workshops last week, and that was the first time we had tried it together. I had already done comedy the day before, though, so I decided I wanted to space things out a little more instead of doing comedy back-to-back.

Last week, I brought in some jokes I had written the previous year. They didn’t really have a fluid storyline connecting them, but I got some good feedback from the other comics. They thought I had good energy, but one of the biggest things I needed to work on was slowing down and letting the jokes sit long enough for the audience to actually laugh before I moved on.

Then on Thursday, I stayed home with my son because he was sick. So instead of going out and doing everything I had planned, the day became a quieter one at home.

It was a pretty ordinary week in some ways, but I like having these little pieces of life happening at the same time: my son starting fifth grade, getting more involved with comedy, figuring out rehearsal spaces, and continuing to work on my own performing.

UPCOMING EVENT

And coming up on September 22, I’ll be taking part in a walk event. More details coming soon, but I’m looking forward to getting out there and being part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments